Goddess Saraswathi is the goddess of Knowledge and education. Along with Lakshmi and Parvathi, she is an important female deity of Hinduism. Saraswathi is the wife of Brahma, the creator, and is the sister of Lord Shiva.
Goddess Saraswathi has a golden complexion and is seen wearing white garments and ornaments. She has four hands; her upper hands hold Japa mala and Vedas, and her lower hands play the veena. Saraswathi is seated on a white lotus and besides her sits a white swan, her mount.
Lord Brahma can perform the function of creation properly only by hearing to the Veena Ghana (Music emanating from Veena) of Saraswathi. Her veena echoes the Veda mantras. It is believed that, pleased by Saraswathi’s devotion and dedication towards him, Brahma gave her the boon to stay in his tongue.
White colour represents purity and highest Knowledge. That is the reason why the Goddess of supreme knowledge, Saraswathi and the things related to her are depicted in white.
Goddess Saraswathi Temples
Not many individual temples for Saraswathi exist; however, small Saraswathi shrines are found almost in every Powerspot.
The Saraswathi temple at Koothanur and Sringeri Saradambal temple are some important individual temples dedicated to Saraswathi. Basant Panchami and Saraswathi pooja are her significant festivals. Praying to Saraswathi will help your studies and career.BUY NOW
Festivals of Goddess Saraswathi
Basant Panchami and Saraswathi Pooja (Sarada Navaratri) are the two important festivals of Goddess Saraswathi.
Vasant Panchami is an ideal day to worship Goddess Saraswathi. Vasant Panchami is also known as Shri Panchami and Saraswati Panchami. People worship Goddess Saraswati during Vasant Panchami to be enlightened with knowledge and to be freed of lethargy and ignorance. It is a common practice to initiate children into education during Vasant Panchami. This ritual is known as Akshar-Abhyasam or Vidya-Arambham/Praasana. Astrologers consider Vasant Panchami as Abujha day which is auspicious to start all good work.
Devotees observe the last day of Sarada Navratri (Mahanavami) as Ayudha Puja and Saraswati Puja. It is celebrated in different ways at different parts of India. The festival Dussehra is celebrated in Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana and Kerala. On Durga Ashtami day, the books and tools and are kept in the puja room at front of the idol/portrait of Goddess Saraswati. The tools and books remain in front of the Goddess on the Mahanavami day and are removed from the pooja only on the tenth day (Vijayadashami).
In Gujarat, Saraswati Puja celebrated during Diwali is also known as Sharda Puja and Chopda Puja.
Things required for Saraswathi Pooja at Home
- An idol or portrait of Goddess Saraswati
- A clean and plain white cloth
- Preferably white flowers like white lilies, jasmine and white lotuses.
- Mango leaves and bilva patra
- Turmeric, Vermillion powder, sandal paste, some puffed rice and 5 types of fruits which must include coconut and bananas
- A kalash, betel nut, betel leaves, Diya (lamp) and incense sticks.
- An ink and an inkpot (If pooja done by a student).
- Subject books or religious books.
Procedure of the Saraswathi Pooja performed at Home
- The person performing the puja must rise early and have bath.
- Before taking the bath, the person must apply a mixture of neem and turmeric paste on his/her body to purify the body.
- One should then place the Idol and kalash on a clean platform on top of a white cloth.
- Decorate it with turmeric, Kumkum, rice, garlands and flowers.
- Keep your books, ink pot, pen or any other thing that you need to (such as a musical instrument, paint brush etc).
- Fill the kalash with water, place a sprig of five mango leaves, put a betel leaf over it.
- You should also keep an idol of Ganesh alongside the idol of Saraswathi.
- Chant the Saraswathi mantras and shlokas
- Light the lamp in front of Goddess Saraswathi and offer her Prasad. Also offer the belpatra and mango leaves.
- Finally, sit in silence in your puja room and invoke the Goddess and ask her to bestow her blessings upon you and your family.
- Later, you should first consume the Prasad yourself and distribute it to your friends, neighbours and family.
Siddhir Bavathume Sadha
My Humble salutations to Goddess Saraswati, the one who blesses with boons and grants wishes
As I begin my education, kindly bestow upon me the knowledge and intellect I require to attain wisdom.
Saraswati Vandana Shloka
Ya Kundendu Tushara Hara Dhavala, Ya Shubhra Vastravrita
Ya Veena Varadanda Manditakara, Ya Shveta Padmasana
Ya Brahmachyuta Shankara Prabhritibihi, Devaih Sada Pujita
Sa Mam Pattu Saraswati Bhagavatee Nihshesha Jadyapaha॥1॥
Salutations to Goddess Saraswati, who wears a garland of white pearls; the one who is dressed in white; the one who holds a Veena in her hand; the one who holds the blessing mudra; and the one who is seated on a white lotus.
Brahma, Vishnu and Shankara hail and worship you, O Goddess Saraswati, bless me and eliminate ignorance.
« Significance of Thai Amavasya | Thai Amavasya 2022 5th Dimension Initiation »