Karthigai Somavara Vratham:
In Hinduism, there is a perfect day to worship every God. For example, Fridays are special to honor the Goddesses, Tuesday is ideal for Muruga worship, Saturday is favorite for hanuman worship, Wednesday is marked for Vishnu’s worship, etc. Similar to the aforesaid, Mondays are perfect days to worship Shiva.
Somavar is synonymous with Shiva’s worship. Therefore, worshipping him on Mondays is believed to bestow Shiva’s choicest blessing.
Shiva and Karthigai Somavaram:
Among the Mondays of a year, the ones falling on Karthigai month are ideal to worship Shiva. During the Karthigai Somavaram, people commence their Vratham. Shiva’s energy is available in total during the Karthigai month (mid–November to mid–December) and can liberate from sins and refresh the mind and body. According to the ancient scriptures, during the Karthigai month, Shiva appeared between Brahma and Vishnu as a pillar of infinite fire and proved his superiority.
Soma is one of the aliases of Chandra Deva, the Planet Moon. Shiva is hailed as Someshwar, Samantha, Chandrasekhara, and Chandrachud, proving his close association with the Moon.
Once due to the curse of Daksha, Chandra Dev started losing his brightness and started to melt. The melting continued for 15 days, and the Moon, afraid of his life, wasn’t sure whom to approach for relief. On the advice of Saint Narada, he finally surrendered to Lord Shiva with true devotion and requested him to save from the threatening situation. Moved by the prayers of Chandra Dev, Shiva appeared before him and offered him solace. He promised Chandra Dev that he would wear him on his jata makuta not to melt. Thus, the Moon was saved from being dead. Profusely thanking Shiva for saving his life, Chandra deva humbly requested Shiva accept Monday as the ideal day of his worship.
Shiva acceded to the request, and since then, Monday (Somavar) became the perfect day to worship Shiva. Karthigai Somavaram, the four/five Mondays occurring during the Karthigai month are very auspicious to worship Shiva. During the Mondays of the Karthigai month, Sangabhisekham (hydration ceremony using conches) is performed to Shiva. The number of conches maybe 108 or 1008. It is very auspicious to watch the Sangabhisekham ceremony.
Karthigai Somavara Vratham Procedure:
- Avoid intake of non-vegetarian food during the Karthigai month if you are observing the Vratham.
- Visit a Shiva Powerspot every Monday of the Karthigai month.
- Chant the mantra, ‘Om Namah Shivaya’ or ‘Thiruneelakandam’.
- It is very auspicious to chant Shiva Sahasranama, the 1000 names of Shiva.
- If you are not able to read, you could at least listen to the Shiva Sahasranama.
- Reading sacred texts like Shiva Maha Purana, Linga Purana, etc., will please Shiva.
- Perform meditation and immerse yourself in Shiva’s consciousness.
- Bilva leaves are ideal for Shiva pooja, and performing Bilvarchana to Shiva lingam or a Shiva’s portrait with bilva leaves during the Somavara Vratham is very special.
- One can observe this Vratham for his entire lifetime (on Mondays), twelve years, or one year.
- If you think it is impossible to observe the Vratham for even one year, you can observe at least during the Kartika month.
- If health permits, you can fast the whole day; if not, you can skip one meal.
- If you find it difficult to skip meals, you can avoid having tamasic and rajasic foods and indulge in Shiva’s worship.
Benefits of observing Karthigai Somavara Vratham:
Karthigai Somavara Vratham is the most significant of Shiva’s auspicious days. The scriptures declare that those who keep Karthigai Somavara Vratham will receive the wholesome grace and blessings of Lord Shiva.
- Observing Karthigai Somavara Vratham will help your spiritual progress.
- Your genuine wishes will turn true.
- Those who are looking for a good life partner will be blessed with the same.
- If you are interested in material pursuits, Shiva will bless your efforts and help you succeed.
- Couples willing for progeny too can observe this Vratham.
- Those facing health problems can also surrender to Shiva to be relieved from the pain and troubles.
- One who is afraid of premature death can gain confidence by observing this fast.
- Fasting on these days will boost knowledge.
To commemorate the Karthigai Somavara, we organize several events and ceremonies on all four Mondays of the Karthigai month. These ceremonies will be performed by trained priests and will bestow the blessings of Shiva in abundance upon you. Click on the links for more details.SIGN UP « Karthigai Deepam Pooja Procedure and Deepa Shlokas How to get the blessings of Goddess Laxmi »