‘Nava’ means ‘Nine’ and ‘Grahams’ means ‘Planets’. As per the Astrology, there are nine planets that hold a great sway in life of a person. They can influence the fruits a person enjoys for his efforts and also determine the hardships of his life.
Surya (Sun), Chandra (Moon), Angaraka (Mars), Budha (Mercury), Guru Brihaspati (Jupiter), Sukhra (Venus), Shani (Saturn), Rahu (shadow planet) and Ketu (Shadow planet) are the nine Navagraha.
Why do people worship Navagraha?
Navagraha can influence the life of a person to a great extent. Based on the past and present karma of a person, the movement of planets can affect a person positively or negatively.
It is believed that worshipping Navagraha will reduce the ill-effects that occur due to an unfavourable transition or placement of a planet in a person’s horoscope. The worship shall mitigate the amount of hardships a person has to undergo during the lean period.
The Navagraha Gayatri Mantras
Though there are several mantras and stotras dedicated to the Navagraha, we shall discuss about Navagraha Gayatri mantra that are small but powerful. They are easy to learn and can provide you relief from the ill-effects of these nine planets.
Gayatri mantra is the ultimate of all mantras. Every God and demi-god have particular gayatri mantra dedicated to them and thus, each the navagrahas have their own Gayatri mantras too. Devotees can chant the respective Gayatri mantra of each Navagraha during worship and be bestowed with their blessings and grace.
Below are the Gayatri mantras of each Navagraha along with its English meaning, for you to understand easy and better.
Surya Gayatri Mantra
Om Ashwadwajaya Vidhmahe
Pasa Hasthaya Dheemahe
Thanno Surya Prachodayath.
I meditate on the god having a horse in his flag,
Let the one holding the rope, bestow me higher intellect,
I pray upon to Surya to illuminate my mind.
Chandra Gayatri Mantra
Om Padmadwajaya Vidhmahe
Hema Roopaya Dheemahe
Thanno Chandra Prachodayath.
I meditate on Lord who has lotus in his flag,
Let him, featuring a golden complexion, provide me higher intellect,
May the Moon God illuminate my mind.
Angaaraka Gayatri Mantra
Om Veeradhwajaaya Vidmahae
Vighna Hastaaya Dheemahi
Tanno Bhouma Prachodayaat
Let me meditate on the one having a warrior in his flag,
He who has the power to solve complex problems, bestow me higher intellect,
May the son of Goddess Tharani (the Earth) illuminate my mind.
Budha Gayatri Mantra
Om Gajadhwajaaya Vidmahae
Sukha Hastaaya Dheemahi
Tanno Budha, Prachodayaat
I meditate on him who has elephant in his flag,
May. the one possessing the power to grant pleasure, bless me with higher intellect,
Let Budha light my mind.
Guru Gayatri Mantra
Om Vrishabadhwajaaya Vidmahae
Kruni Hastaaya Dheemahi
Tanno Guru : Prachodayaat
I pray to the one having bull in his flag,
I pray to the God having the power to get things done, give me higher intellect,
Let Guru Brihaspati illuminate my mind.
Shukra Gayatri Mantra
Om Ashwadhwajaaya Vidmahae
Dhanur Hastaaya Dheemahi
Tanno Shukra: Prachodayaat
I meditate on the one having a horse in his flag,
May the one holding a bow in his hand, bestow me higher intellect,
I pray Shukra to illuminate my mind.
Shani Gayatri Mantra
Om Kaakadhwajaaya Vidmahae
Khadga Hastaaya Dheemahi
Tanno Mandah: Prachodayaat
I meditate on the one who has a crow in his flag,
The one carrying a sword in his hand, may he bless me with higher intellect,
May Saneeswara light my mind.
Rahu Gayatri Mantra
Om Naakadhwajaaya Vidmahae
Padma Hastaaya Dheemahi
Tanno Raahu: Prachodayaat
I meditate on the one having a snake in his flag,
Let the one holding a lotus in his hand, grant me higher intellect,
May Rahu illuminate my mind.
Ketu Gayatri Mantra
Om Aswadhwajaaya Vidmahae
Soola Hastaaya Dheemahi
Tanno Ketu: Prachodayaat
Let me meditate on him who has horse in his flag,
Oh, He who has a trident in his hand, give me higher intellect,
May Ketu brighten my mind.
Benefits of Navagraha Mantras
Each of the Gods of Navagraha possess a unique character and feature different qualities. There are vast differences in their complexion, their apparels, mounts, and the weapons carried by them. Praying to each of the Navagraha shall bestow a particular benefit upon the person invoking them.
- Chanting the Surya mantra your lifespan and boost your health. His worship will also make you intelligent.
- If you chant Chandra’s mantra, you will be blessed with a peaceful mind. He will boost your creativity and imagination.
- Chanting the Angaraka’s mantra will make you bold and strong. You will acquire immovable assets and feel energized.
- Budha mantra is chanted by people who want to master arts and skills. Chanting Budha mantra improves a person’s expertise and makes him knowledgeful.
- Guru’s mantra acts as a protective shield against the malefic effects of other plants placed unfavourably. He ensures you are married at the right time.
- Sukra’s mantra will make you strong financially. This mantra also makes you to indulge in the field of arts and crafts.
- Shani’s mantra will turn you righteous and encourages you to perform good karma and abstain from involving in bad activities.
- Rahu’s mantra will remove obstacles coming across your path. It will also save you from bad company.
- Chanting Ketu’s mantra will make a person wise. A person will understand the reality of life and will become interested to find the answer for life’s puzzle.